The star of this dish is the lentil soup, a staple food item in the Egyptian food culture. It can be enjoyed alone or perfectly paired with rice and a tangy tomato sauce to create a hearty and delicious meal. Recipe Credit: Iman Moussa @ Koshary Corner.
Tangy Tomato Sauce
- In a sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant and softened.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper. Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer to allow flavors to meld, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, hold hot for service.
- In a saute pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until they begin to caramelize. Add potaotes, zucchini, tomato, and carrot and saute until vegetables begin to brown.
- Add water and lentils. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables are cooked through. Add salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper. Stir to distribute.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, soup should be thick. Hold hot for service.
- For each serving, place a layer of 1/2 cup of cooked rice in desired bowl. Drizzle rice with 1/4 cup tangy tomato sauce and top with 1 cup lentil porridge. Garnish with 1/4 cup crushed pita chips and 2 tablespoons fried onions. Serve hot.