Japanese-inspired wings are marinated in a combo of sake and soy sauce spiked with Japanese Seven Spice. Finishing them on the grill caramelizes the wings for an exciting twist on the bar food classic. This recipe features our new Global Blends Japanese Seven Spice Seasoning.
Seven Spice Marinade and Glaze
- In a bowl combine brown sugar, sake, mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic and first amount of Japanese Seven Spice. Whisk until well combined. Divide mixture in half. Reserve one half to marinate chicken.
- Place remaining soy mixture in a small sauce pot. Whisk in cornstarch. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside, keep warm.
- Place chicken wings in a hotel pan. Pour reserved half of soy mixture over top of wings and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for minimally 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Set grill to medium high heat. For each serving, remove 1 pound of wings from marinade. Grill wings until cooked through and skin has crisped. Remove from grill.
- Toss with 1/4 cup glaze. Serve hot, sprinkle with extra Japanese Seven Spice and scallions.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 260
- Sodium: 320 mg
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Protein: 18 g