Spicy Italian Sausage and Fra Diavolo Sauce make an easy alternative to tacos on Tuesday, or any day.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add Italian Seasoning, onion powder, and tomato paste. Stir into garlic and oil. Add crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add cooked meatballs to sauce and let sit for a half hour over low heat. Hold warm for service.
For Finished Tacos:
- Heavy a large skillet over medium high heat. Add Italian sausage, cook until well browned and cooked through, making sure to break up into small pieces. Stir into finished Fra Diavolo sauce and hold warm for service.
- In a small bowl combine mozzarella cheese with 1 tablespoon of italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Brush each tortilla with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle one side with remaining Italian seasoning. Griddle tortillas briefly to warm through and slighlty toast.
- To build tacos place tortilla so seasoned side if facing outward. Fill tortillas with sausage Fra Diavolo sauce and top with seasoned mozzarella. Place under broiler to melt cheese. Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve two tacos per order.
Cooked, sliced or ground italian sausage work equally well in this recipe.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches