This hearty, meat-free twist on classic tacos al pastor features a protein-packed filling of spiced pigeon peas, tomatoes, and pineapple paired with a cooling coconut-lime cabbage slaw.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
Coconut Lime Slaw
- In a bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, and honey until well blended. Add cabbage, coconut, and cilantro. Toss to coat. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and pineapple. Cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add pigeon peas, oregano, garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir to combine and cook until heated through and fragrant. Hold hot for service, or cool and refrigerate until needed.
- Set grill to high. For each serving, grill two tortillas until lightly charred.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup of pigeon pea mix and 1/4 cup Coconut Lime Slaw. Serve warm.
Pigeon peas are considered a pulse in the legume family, and range from green to brownish in color. However, when skinned and split, they are yellow in color and known as Toor dal or Toovar dal.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches
- Cuisine: Mexican
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 260 cal
- Sodium: 300 mg
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Protein: 6 g