A vegetarian taco with meaty jackfruit and a sweet and spicy kick from a Cider Pepper Syrup.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
Cider Pepper Syrup
- In a saucepan combine vinegar, coconut sugar, red pepper, rosemary, and white pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow flavors to steep at least 4 hours or over night. Strain through several layers of cheesecloth. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, coconut sugar, smoked paprika, garlic salt, cinnamon, and white pepper. Add jackfruit and toss until evenly coated. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a bowl combine onions and cilantro. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set grill to high. For each serving, grill 4 ounces of marinated jackfruit until well marked. Remove from grill and shred or slice into thin strips.
- Warm 2 tortillas on grill. Divide sliced grilled jackfruit between the tortillas. Top each with 2 tablespoons onion blend, sour cream, and Cider Pepper Syrup. Serve hot.
In the U.S., jackfruit is most readily available canned. Canned jackfruit can be found in Asian markets or online specialty stores.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 219 cal
- Sodium: 1037 mg
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Protein: 4 g