White miso, sake and McCormick Gourmet™ Japanese Seven Spice Seasoning create a classic marinade for flaky cod. Miso is also blended into creamy butter for a savory squash puree and stir-fried bok choy.
For the Cod:
- Mix miso, mirin, oil, sake, sugar, spice blend, and soy sauce in small bowl until well blended. Place fish in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add marinade; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 1 hour or longer for extra flavor.
For the miso butter:
- Mix butter, miso, and ginger in small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
For the Squash:
- Place butternut squash and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Place butternut squash, 3 tablespoons miso butter, orange peel, and sea salt in food processor; cover and process until smooth. Can also mash with potato masher until smooth. Keep warm.
For the Cod:
- Remove cod from marinade and place on broiler pan. Discard any remaining marinade. Broil 2" to 3" from heat for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Do not turn fish.
For the Bok Choy:
- "Melt 2 tablespoons miso butter with garlic powder and sea salt in large skillet on medium heat. Add bok choy and bell pepper; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. To serve, divide squash puree and stir-fried vegetables among each of 6 plates and top each with a cod fillet. Sprinkle with additional spice blend, if desired."
White miso is a paste of soybeans fermented with rice and salt. A staple of Japanese cuisine, it provides rich flavor to a wide range of recipes, including soups, sauces, dressings and marinades. It may be found in the refrigerated produce section of some supermarkets or in Asian grocery stores. Sake, a Japanese rice wine, is available wherever fine wines are sold. Mirin, a Japanese sweet rice wine used in cooking, is similar to sake but with a lower alcohol content and a higher sugar content. It may be found in the Asian aisle of some supermarkets or in Asian grocery stores.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Prep time: 40 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 266 cal
- Sodium: 570 mg
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Protein: 23 g