Peruvian spit-roasted chicken, or Pollo a la Brasa, is an iconic South American dish, and this grilled version delivers flavorful, tender, and juicy chicken every time. The two accompanying sauces featuring ají amarillo and ají rocoto chilies offer hot and tangy counterpoints.
For the Chicken:
- Place chicken in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Mix the soy sauce, white vinegar, water, lime juice, ají amarillo paste, ají panca paste, garlic cloves, Cumin, black pepper, and ground mustard (ingredients 2-11) in small bowl. Add marinade to chicken; turn to coat well. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight for extra flavor.
For the Chile Sauce:
- Place the fresh cilantro, jalapeño peppers, olive oil, ají amarillo paste, lime juice, white vinegar, and garlic clove (ingredients 12-18) in blender container; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth.
For the Rocoto Sauce:
- Mix the mayonnaise, ají rocoto paste, lime juice, lime peel, cumin, and oregano leaves (ingredients 19-24) in small bowl until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate both sauces until ready to serve.
For the Main Recipe:
- Prepare grill for indirect medium-low heat (275ºF to 300ºF). Preheat grill by turning all burners to medium. Turn off burner(s) on one side. Remove chicken from marinade and place on unlit side of grill. Discard any remaining marinade. Close grill.
- Grill 40 to 45 minutes or until internal temperature of thickest part of chicken is 165ºF, turning occasionally. Move chicken to lit side of grill with skin side down. Turn lit side of grill to high.
- Grill, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes longer or until chicken is charred. Cut chicken into serving size pieces. Serve chicken with chile sauce and rocoto sauce; add lime wedges, if desired.
- To cook in oven, place chicken on rack in roasting pan. Roast in preheated 375ºF oven 50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
For a delicious Peruvian-inspired meal, serve with Spiced Mashed Plantains.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Latin American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 500 cal
- Sodium: 730 mg
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Protein: 31 g