Banana ketchup is a popular Filipino condiment made from mashed bananas, sugar, vinegar, and spices.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
- In a saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno. Cook until softened. Add garlic, turmeric, and allspice. Stir to incorporated and cook until fragrant.
- Add bananas, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer to food processor and blend until smooth. Add water and blend to thin slightly. Hold refrigerated for service.
This ketchup is a great condiment with fried rice and noodles, eggs, hot dogs, burgers, fries, fish, pork, and chicken.
Use Banana Ketchup to prepare Pinoy Pork BBQ with Green Mango Slaw.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads
- Cuisine: Filipino
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 35 cal
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Protein: 0 g