Banana ketchup is a popular Filipino condiment made from mashed bananas, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Use with fried rice and noodles, eggs, hot dogs, burgers, fries, fish, pork, and chicken.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, jalapeño pepper, turmeric, and allspice; cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in bananas, vinegar, sugar, and sea salt. Bring to simmer on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into blender or food processor; cover. Blend on high 1 minute or until smooth. With center part of cover removed and blender on, slowly pour in water and blend until the consistency is similar to traditional ketchup.
Store ketchup in clean, tightly covered container or jar in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Use Banana Ketchup to prepare Pinoy Pork BBQ with Green Mango Slaw.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads
- Cuisine: Filipino
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 35 cal
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Protein: 0 g