Need a new appetizer for a seasonal menu, but feeling in a pinch to get it on your menu in time? Pick San Diego Chef Mikel Anthony’s inspired savory crab lollipops this year! Made from a deep-fried puree of shrimp, soy sauce, egg and cooking cream, these pops are covered in a Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk and Red Curry Paste sauce, perfect for any sunny day or sunset dinner.
For the Red Curry Cocktail Sauce:
- In a small sauce pan, bring coconut milk to a boil. Whisk in remaining ingredients.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce has reduced by half. Cool and hold for service.
For the Crab Lollipops:
- Preheat fryer to 350°F.
- Place shrimp, soy sauce, chili sauce, garlic, ginger, egg and heavy cream into a food processor and blend until pureed.
- Remove into a medium bowl and incorporate 2 cups of bread crumbs. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place remaining panko bread crumbs in a small bowl.
- Divide shrimp mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Wrap each portion around the de-shelled snow crab claw so that the pincher portion is exposed.
- Roll lollipop in bread crumbs so it is evenly coated. Repeat with remaining crab claws.
- Fry lollipops until golden brown.
For Plating & Serving:
- To plate, spread sauce on desired plate. Serve 3 lollipops per plate.
These crab lollipops would serve well on a buffet, family style or as passed hors d'oeuvres.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: American Regional