Spicy sourdough panini with a Buffalo tomato sauce, hot Italian sausage, traditional pizza house toppings, and mozzarella cheese.
Buffalo Tomato Sauce
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. add Italian Seasoning, onion powder, and tomato paste. Stir to slightly fry tomato paste and incorporate ingredients.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in buffalo wings sauce. Hold hot for service or cool completely and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat sauté pan over medium high heat. Add Italian sausage, cook, breaking up into pieces. Continue to cook and stir until sausage is fully cooked. Remove from pan.
- Add oil to the same pan and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers. Cook until beginning to caramelize.
- Return sausage to pan. Add Buffalo Tomato Sauce, pepperoni, and kalamata olives. Continue to cook until all ingredients are heated through. Hold hot for service.
- Set panini press to medium high. For each serving, butter a single side of two sourdough slices. Set buttered side down on panini press.
- Place two slices of mozzarella cheese on each piece of bread. Top on slice of bread with 1/2 cup of sausage mixture. Finish with 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of crispy jalapenos.
- Top with cheesy slice of bread. Close panini press. Cook until cheese is fully melted and bread is golden brown. Serve hot.
For a simpler plus one option, add 1:1 ratio of Frank's Buffalo Wings Sauce to your house tomato sauce.
Don’t have a panini press? Use a griddle with a hot steak weight to create the same effect.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches