Crispy shredded phyllo dough layered with a savory filling and soaked in a sweet, spiced syrup with hints of ginger, vanilla, and cardamom then topped with crushed pistachios.
- In a sauce pot over medium-high heat combine sugar, water, and lemon juice. Whisk together and bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until syrup has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and add cardamom, ginger, and vanilla. After 15 minutes strain through a fine-mesh strainer and cool to room temperature. Hold ambient until needed.
- Grease a 10" cake pan with some ghee. Set aside. In a bowl combine kataifi dough with remaining ghee. Toss until dough is evenly coated with ghee. Press half the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing the mixture halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Spread half of the shredded mozzarella over the dough, then place halloumi in an even layer over shredded mozzarella, and top with remaining shredded mozzarella. Finish by topping with remaining dough in an even layer and lightly pressing down. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set oven to 400°F. Just prior to service bake prepared kanafeh until golden brown and crisp, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately pour over with 1 cup of spiced syrup. Allow to rest 10-15 minutes then quarter. Hold hot.
- For each serving, plate one quarter of kanafeh on desired plate. Garnish with 2 tablespoons additional spiced syrup and 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio. Serve warm.
Create indivudual Kanafeh by using ramekins or tart pans.