This subtly sweet cake gets its green tea flavor and color from a matcha spice blend enhanced with ginger and lemon peel. Layered with lemon curd and topped with a light lemon meringue frosting, this dessert offers a welcome twist to classic layer cakes.
For the Matcha Green Tea Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease bottom and side of a 9" round cake pan with non stick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat flour, sugar, sour cream, melted butter, matcha blend, and baking powder in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed to moisten. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Gently stir in egg whites until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 29 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
For the Lemon Meringue Frosting:
- Stir remaining sugar into boiling water in large bowl until dissolved; let cool. Add meringue powder; beat with electric mixer on low speed until just blended. (If using a stand mixer, use the wire whisk attachment.) Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir in marshmallow creme and lemon extract with spatula until smooth.
For the Assembly & Garnish:
- Slice cake in half horizontally to form 2 thin layers. Place 1 of the layers on serving platter and spread with lemon curd. Top with second cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with the Frosting.
- Lightly garnish with grated lemon peel, if desired.
Meringue powder is made of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and cornstarch. It is used to prepare icings and meringue for pies and other desserts. It is available in the baking aisle of supermarkets, the cake decorating section of some craft stores, or online specialty stores.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: Canadian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 320 cal
- Sodium: 150 mg
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Protein: 5 g