We’re sweet on the sour, dried Persian fruit gaining attention: barberry. Showcase the fruit’s cranberry-like similarities in a free-form crostata tart with pears, flavored with apple pie spice and pure almond extract. With a sprinkle of slivered almonds for a picture-perfect finish, it’s rustic, easy and downright delicious.
For the Crostata Dough:
- Place 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and almond flour, 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt in food processor; cover. Pulse to mix. Add butter; pulse until resembles pea-size crumbs. With top part of food process cover removed, add 3 tablespoons ice-cold water while processing until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth. Shape into an 8" disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
For the Pear & Barberry Filling:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Mix 7 tablespoons of the sugar, flour, apple pie spice, and sea salt in large bowl. Add pears, barberries and almond extract; toss gently to coat. Set aside.
For the Assembly, Baking & Serving:
- Roll dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a 12" circle. Place dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spoon filling into center of dough, spreading to within 1 1/2" of edges. Fold edge of crust up over fruit, pleating or folding crust as needed. Brush crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake the crostata on the middle rack of the oven 25 to 30 minutes or until pears are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool slightly on baking sheet. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: Persian
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 482 cal
- Sodium: 184 mg
- Carbohydrates: 64 g
- Protein: 7 g