This warming chicken and vegetable stew reaches all levels of deliciousness when it's balanced with a combination of spicy, savory and tangy flavor profiles. This recipe features our new Global Blends Harissa Seasoning.
- Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy bottom rondeau over medium high heat. When oil is hot and simmering, place chicken thighs skin side down. Sear until skin is crisp. Flip and cook until well seared on reverse side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add bay leaves and peppercorns to hot pan and stir gently until fragrant. Add onions and cook, stirring until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Stir in harissa seasoning.
- Dust with flour and stir until fat has been absorbed. Slowly add in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Return chicken to rondeau, along with carrots, turnips, olives and preserved lemons wedges. Cover and cook until chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove chicken from broth mixture and set side. Mix lemon zest into broth mixture. Hold broth and chicken hot for service or cool completely and refrigerate until needed.
- For each serving, portion 1 cup warm rice in desired serving dish. Top with 6 oz broth mixture and 1 chicken thigh. Garnish with 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves. Serve hot.
This dish is delicious as an entrée plate served as described above, or leave the chicken in the stew and serve on a buffet line with rice on the side. Serve over Harissa Rice Pilaf instead of plain white rice to take this dish to the next level!
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: Moroccan