There's a new recipe in town, not for the faint of flavored heart, that has flavor masters rejoicing! Created by CJ Katz, Chef Culinary Expert of CTV's The Wheatland Cafe, in Regina, Canada, her recipe for Tailgate Smoked Chicken Thighs with Warm Sweet Potato Salad, has harnessed the spicy sensations of McCormick Light Chili Powder, Ground Cumin and Crushed Red Pepper. Topped with Lawry's Barbecue Wing Seasoning, this Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette-induced concoction will please even the most experienced palates.
For the Tailgate Smoked Chicken Thighs:
- Preheat smoker to 225F.
- Trim chicken thighs to remove any excess skin and fat pockets. Brush both sides of each thigh with yellow mustard.
- Sprinkle both sides of each thigh with Lawry's Barbecue Wing Seasoning. Place the thighs inside the smoker, close the lid and smoke for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce and orange juice, adding more juice as required to make a sauce about the thickness of tomato soup.
- After the thighs have smoked for 30 minutes, brush the tops with sauce. Turn the thighs over and brush the other side.
- Close the lid and smoke another 45-60 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the thighs are fully cooked through.
- Remove from smoker to a platter and cover loosely to keep warm.
For the Warm Sweet Potato Salad:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Lawry's Barbecue Wing Seasoning, McComrick Culinary: light chili powder, ground cumin, pure ground black pepper, salt and crushed red pepper.
- Add the prepared sweet potatoes and toss well to evenly coat.
- Transfer to the cookie sheet and roast for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove to cool for about 10 minutes.
For the Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, salt and pepper.
- After the potatoes have cooled slightly, add the vinaigrette, the chopped cilantro and toasted pine nuts. Toss well.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Try substituting Lawry's Pit Barbecue Seasoning OR Lawry's Memphis Style Barbecue Rub if Lawry's Barbecue Wing Seasoning is not available in your market!
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: America