Cochinita Pibil is traditional shredded pork from the Mexican Yucatan peninsula, marinated with Red Recado and citrus juices.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
Yucatan Red Recado
- In a blender combine lime juice, orange juice, garlic, annatto seeds, salt, coriander, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and clove. Blend until smooth. Hold refrigerated until needed.
- In a bowl whisk together Yucatan Red Recado, lime juice, orange juice, and garlic.
- Place pork in a hotel pan. Cover with mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- Set oven to 325°F. Remove pork from refrigerator and allow to come up in temperature. Cover hotel pan with foil and bake until pork is very tender, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Shred pork and combine with liquid from pan. Serve hot as desired.
This pork is perfect for tacos, burritos, or quesadillas!