OLD BAY: View Story
Did You Know?
Fun Fact #1OUR UNIQUE BLEND OF 18 HERBS AND SPICES WAS BORN IN THE CHESAPEAKE BAY AREA IN 1939. IT HAS BEEN MADE THE SAME WAY EVER SINCE.
Fun Fact #2OLD BAY'S ORIGINAL NAME WAS "DELICIOUS BRAND SHRIMP AND CRAB SEASONING"
Fun Fact #3THE MUCH BETTER NAME, OLD BAY, WAS INSPIRED BY THE OLD BAY LINE STEAMBOATS THAT TRAVELED THE CHESAPEAKE BETWEEN MARYLAND AND VIRGINIA.
Fun Fact #4THE MAIN FLAVOR INGREDIENTS IN OLD BAY CONSIST OF CELERY SALT, PAPRIKA, AND MUSTARD SEED.
Fun Fact #5OLD BAY IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME MENU GROWTH AS CHIPOTLE AIOLI, EGGS OVER-EASY, AND FISH SAUCE (Datassential, MenuTrends, OLD BAY, 2017)
Fun Fact #6THERE ARE 2 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OLD BAY SEASONING - 1. IT'S GREAT ON SEAFOOD and 2. IT'S GREAT ON EVERYTHING ELSE.
The OLD BAY Flavor Story
- OLD BAY is great on seafood
- OLD BAY is great on everything else
- Key flavors in OLD BAY include Celery Salt, Paprika, and Mustard Seed
- Celery Seed has a slightly bitter flavor, with earthy and grassy notes like the celery we eat
- Paprika has a mild, slightly sweet flavor and pleasant, fragrant aroma and is made from dried sweet red pepper
- Mustard Seed delivers an initial floral sweetness with a pungent finishing bite