Tender and juicy pork bellies roasted in the signature smoky Southwest flavors of Cholula® Smoky Chipotle Carnitas Seasoning Mix, finished on the grill and served over a wonderful black bean dip and Cholula Cilantro Sauce.
- Set oven to 250°F. Cover pork belly completely with first amount of Cholula Smoky Chipotle Carnitas Seasoning Mix. Wrap tightly in foil and roast until it reaches an internal temperature of 155°F. Turn oven off and leave belly in until temperature comes up to 165°F, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Slice belly across the grain into 3/4" thick slices and cut into 1" pieces. Place into 5 piece portions. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a heavy bottom, pan over medium-high heat melt lard. Add onions and sauté until caramelized.
- Add beans, water, and the second amount of Cholula Smoky Chipotle Carnitas Seasoning Mix. Bring to a simmer, stirring until beans are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place beans in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Hold warm for service or refrigerate for later use.
- Set grill to medium-high. For each serving, grill 1 portion of pork belly until heated throughout and well-marked on two sides.
- Plate 4 tablespoons of refried black beans decoratively and top each with a piece of grilled pork belly. Serve with a small ramekin of 2 tablespoons Cilantro Sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
Try substituting lard with the rendered fat and pan drippings from the roasted pork belly in this recipe to add even more flavor.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: Southern American