Think outside the box and start the day with a traditional Middle Eastern hash. Tender chickpeas, ground lamb or beef, and butternut squash seasoned with a blend of coriander, cumin, and fennel are the star of the bowl. Add Skhug, a popular Middle Eastern hot sauce, for a tangy-savory spiciness that’ll keep you and guests coming back for more. Top it off with a dollop of creamy skhug ricotta and diced cucumber.
For the Ricotta & Skhug Mixture:
- Mix ricotta cheese and 1 tablespoon of the skhug sauce in small bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Reserve remaining Skhug Sauce to flavor the lamb hash.
For the Spice Blend & Butternut Squash:
- Mix all of the dry spices in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place squash on microwavable plate with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes or until softened. Uncover and set aside.
For the Lamb, Chickpeas & Vegetables:
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add lamb; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of the dry spice mixture; cook and stir until lamb is no longer pink. With slotted spoon, remove lamb from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion, squash and eggplant; cook and stir on medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes. Add chickpeas, garlic and remaining spice mixture; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and browned lamb; cook until squash is tender. Stir in spinach, lemon juice and reserved skhug sauce; cook until spinach is just wilted.
For the Plating & Garnish:
- Spoon chickpea and lamb hash into serving bowls.
- Top with diced cucumber and a dollop of the skhug ricotta.
Visit http://mccormickforchefs.com/Recipes/S/Skhug-Sauce for the Skhug Hot Sauce recipe.
- Recipe type: Breakfast and Brunch
- Cuisine: Israeli
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 353 cal
- Sodium: 487 mg
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Protein: 15 g