A smoked juicy turkey with a beautiful barbecue sauce glaze.
- Set smoker to 250° F with hickory and/or fruit wood.
- Rub the entire turkey with oil. Sprinkle turkey inside and out with Cowboy Rub and salt. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Allow seasoned turkey to sit at room temperature for 45-60 minutes. Add 1/4" water to bottom of pan. Place turkey in smoker.
- In a bowl, combine BBQ Sauce and cider. Whisk well. At 1 hour, check internal temperatures of thigh and breast and gently baste skin with a thin coat of sauce.
- When internal temperature of breast reaches 160° F remove and hold in warmer for service or cool completely if serving to-go.
- If serving as portions, allow bird to relax to a temperature that is easy to handle. Remove meat from bones, preserving skins. Reserve bones for stock. Slice and serve turkey meat with desired accompaniments.
- If serving whole as a to-go option, cool bird completely and transfer to a oven safe disposable roasting pan with lid. Send with reheat instructions as: Preheat oven to 375°F. Place cold cooked turkey in oven, covered with foil. Drop oven temperature to 275°F and bake until fully reheated, about 10 minutes per pound.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: North American