Chef inspired from Memphis in May, this mac & cheese is layered with mushrooms and made with a creamy beer cheese for a delicious flavor combination.
Smoky BBQ'd Wild Mushrooms
- Soak fruit wood in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and place in smoker set to 250°F.
- In a bowl, toss mushrooms with oil. Sprinkle with onion, garlic, pepper and salt. Toss until mushrooms are evenly coated. Place mushrooms on rack over parchment lined sheet tray.
- Once smoke is produced, open door slightly to release initial acrid or yellow smoke. Place racks of mushrooms in smoker for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from smoker.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté mushrooms. Add sugar, BBQ sauce and heat to dissolve sugar and combine. Cool completely and set aside.
Mac & Cheese
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic, sauté until caramelized. Add beer and reduce slightly.
- Add sugar, salt and paprika. Whisk to combine. Add cream and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add shredded cheeses and stir until melted. Finish with lemon juice and fold in pasta.
- If serving as portions, portion 1/2 cup mushrooms in a 16oz oven safe ramekin. Top with 1 cup of prepared mac & cheese. Bake at 350°F until hot throughout. Top with 1/4 cup crispy fried onions and return to oven to toast slightly. Serve hot.
- If serving as a to-go option, place 1 quart of Smoky BBQ'd Mushrooms in oven safe to-go container. Top with prepared mac & cheese. Portion fried crispy onion separately. Send with reheat instructions as: Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake mac & cheese uncovered until hot throughout, about 20 minutes. Top with fried crispy onions and return to oven to toast slightly.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: North American