Salt-cured egg yolks are the new umami-loaded pasta topper in town. You can turn egg yolks into solid orbs of golden goodness with a mix of salt, sugar, spices, and about four days. Serve the firm yolks with congee or grate, shave or crumble over pasta, noodles, rice, salads, vegetables, and soups.
- Mix salt, sugar, and spices in medium bowl until well blended.
- Spread half of the seasoned salt mixture in small glass baking dish (about 9"x7"). Make 6 indentations into the salt mixture with the back of a spoon. Place an egg yolk into each indentation. Gently cover yolks with remaining salt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving one corner open for moisture to escape. Refrigerate 4 days.
- Preheat oven to 170ºF. Remove egg yolks from salt mixture and carefully rinse in water. Place yolks on rack in small rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 3 hours.
Egg Safety and Handling
- Egg Safety and Handling: Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness. Wash hands with soap and warm water before handling eggs and at every step of egg preparation.
Serve cured egg yolks with congee, or grate, shave or crumble over pasta, noodles, rice, salads, vegetables, and soups.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 61 cal
- Sodium: 699 mg
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g