A lively Latin duo of tart colorful hibiscus flowers and mildly fruity ancho chile pepper add punch to sparkling sangria.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
Prep | Serves 4
- 2 cups Hibiscus Flower, whole, dried
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/12 cups Water
- 2 tbsps McCormick Culinary ® Ancho Chile Pepper, Ground
- 2 cups Orange juice
- 1/2 cup Orange Flavored Liqueur
- 1/3 cup Lime Juice, fresh
- As needed Ice
- 24 oz Sparkling White Wine, chilled
- In a saucepot over medium heat combine hibiscus flowers, sugar, water, and ancho chile pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep 10 minutes. Strain into container and cool completely.
- Add orange juice, liqueur, and lime juice to cooled syrup. Stir until well mixed. Hold refrigerated for service.
- For each serving, fill a large wine glass with ice. Add 4oz of hibiscus mixture and top with 6oz sparkling wine. Garnish with desired fruit. Serve chilled.