Let’s hear it for the resurgence of hand pies! The all-grown-up version of the nostalgic treat hits on sweet, tart, and decadent with its jammy strawberry and black pepper cream cheese filling housed in a buttery, salted and sugared pretzel pie dough.
Pretzel Pie Dough
- Pulse pretzels in food processer until very finely ground (consistency of flour). Add flour and brown sugar; pulse until well blended. Add butter; pulse until well mixed, adding water 1 teaspoon at time as needed, until mixture comes together to form a smooth dough. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Divide into two discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Working with one dough disc at a time, roll out to 1/8-inch thickness on floured work surface. Using a 5-inch round cutter, cut circles in pie dough. Repeat with remaining disc of dough. Place dough circles on sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap. Hold refrigerated until ready to assemble pies.
- In a bowl, mix strawberries, jam, brown sugar, cornstarch and vanilla until well blended. Hold until ready to assemble pies.
- In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese and black pepper. Hold until ready to assemble pies.
To Assemble Pies
- Remove dough circles from refrigerator. Working quickly, spoon 1 tablespoon Black Pepper Cream Cheese in center of each dough circle, spreading into a circle. Top with 2 to 3 tablespoons Strawberry Filling. Brush edges of circle with egg wash. Fold dough over to enclose filling and form and half-moon shape. Press edges to seal and crimp as desired. Repeat with remaining dough circles and filling. Place pies on parchment-lined sheet pan. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush tops of hand pies with egg wash. Sprinkle lightly with turbinado sugar and sea salt.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Recipe type: Desserts
- Cuisine: North American