Cooked in an aromatic spice blend to fall-off-the-bone doneness, Jerk marinated short ribs are served over rich, cheesy grits in this Caribbean and Southern inspired dish - proof indulgence comes in all shapes and forms.
Jerk Marinade | Serves 10
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, rough chopped
- 6 Scallions, rough chopped
- 2 small Scotch Bonnet Peppers, stems removed
- 1 tbsp Gourmet Garden™ Ginger Stir-In Paste
- 1 tbsp Gourmet Garden™ Garlic Stir-In Paste
- 2 tbsps Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsps Honey
- 2 tbsps Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp McCormick Culinary ® Thyme Leaves
- 2 tbsps McCormick Culinary ® Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 tbsp McCormick Culinary ® Allspice, Ground
- 2 tsps McCormick Culinary ® Black Pepper, Pure Ground
- 1 1/2 tsps McCormick Culinary ® Nutmeg, Ground
Short Ribs | Serves 10
- 4 pounds Bone-In Short Ribs
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil, divided
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Black Pepper, Pure Ground
- 4 cups Beef Stock, divided
Cheesy Grits | Serves 10
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Corn Grits
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 1.2 tsps Salt
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Black Pepper, Pure Ground
- 3 tbsps Butter, sliced
- Combine all marinade ingredients in bowl of food processor; process until smooth. Hold Marinade for later use.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Coat short ribs with 1/4 cup oil. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Sear short ribs in batches, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until well browned on all sides. Remove from pot.
- Drain oil from pot. Add Jerk Marinade. Sauté 1 minute, whisking constantly to prevent burning.
- Add 3 cups of the beef stock; mix until fully combined. Bring to boil. Return short ribs to Dutch oven. Cover. Transfer to oven.
- Braise 2 hours. Reduce oven temp. to 325°F. Braise 30 to 35 minutes longer, or until ribs are tender and falling off bone.
- Mix chicken stock and heavy cream in saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring to boil. Gradually whisk in grits. Return to boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once all the liquid has been absorbed and grits are soft and tender, stir in cheeses. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Stir in butter until completely melted. Hold hot for service.
- Remove ribs from Dutch oven. Transfer to plate. Skim any excess fat from top of sauce. Whisk remaining beef stock into sauce in pot. Bring to boil; reduce 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve Short Ribs over hot Grits. Spoon Jerk Sauce over top. Garnish with sliced scallions and sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Recipe type: Entrees
- Cuisine: North American