When beloved Mexican and Filipino street foods join forces, you can expect nothing but greatness. Tender kernels of sweet corn, crispy flakes of meaty adobo pork, a creamy dressing, and fresh cilantro all load this recipe up with an explosion of memorable flavor. Enjoy by itself or as a main component in a bowl-type entree.
Adobo Carnitas and Adobo Sauce | Serves 15
- 1 pound Pork Shoulder, skin removed, cut into chunk size pieces
- 1 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Garlic, Granulated
- 4 tsps McCormick Culinary ® Paprika, Smoked
- 3/4 cup Coconut Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Black Pepper, Coarse Grind
- 2 each McCormick Culinary ® Bay Leaves
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil, divided
Esquites | Serves 15
- 12 Medium Ears Corn-on-the-cob, husks and silk strands removed
- 1/2 cup McCormick Culinary ® Mayonesa
- 1/3 cup Adobo Sauce (from Carnitas)
- 2 tbsps Sour Cream
- 2 tbsps Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Cayenne Pepper, Ground
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese, large curd
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil until shimmering. Work in batches to sear pork until browned on all sides. Return seared pork to saucepan. Season with garlic and paprika. Stir in vinegar. Cook on medium-high heat until slightly thickened. Stir in water, soy sauce, black pepper and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook about 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pork is very tender. Remove pork from saucepan. Shred into small, bite-size pieces; cool completely. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Discard bay leaves and skim fat from Adobo Sauce and discard. Return saucepan with Adobo Sauce to medium heat. Cook until reduced and thickened. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set up boiling water station. Cook corn just until tender. Drain well. Cut kernels from cob. Transfer to bowl. Add Mayonesa, 1/3 cup of the Adobo Sauce, sour cream, cilantro and cayenne pepper to bowl with corn, stirring just until blended. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In large deep skillet over medium heat, heat remaining 3/4 cup oil. Fry shredded Adobo Pork until crispy and golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain well.
- Add 3/4 of the crispy Adobo Carnitas to Esquites Mixture, tossing to mix. Spoon Esquites into serving bowls. Sprinkle with remaining Carnitas and drizzle with remaining Adobo Sauce. Top with cottage cheese and drizzle with sriracha sauce, if desired. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
For extra smoky flavor, lightly char cooked corn-on-the-cob over the grill, or sear corn kernels in large skillet on high heat, just until browned. You can also use 10 cups frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed.
- Recipe type: Sides
- Cuisine: North American