A crunchy fritter featuring a sweet combination of blue crab and corn with a kick of heat from Cholula® Chili Lime Hot Sauce.
Chili Lime Butter Dip
- In a heavy bottom sauce pot combine Cholula®, white wine, shallots, lemon juice, black pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce until thick syrup, should reduce by 3/4.
- Reduce heat and whisk in cubed butter a little at a until fully incorporated. Continue until all butter is emulsified.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Hold ambient for service.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, and Cholula®. Gradually combine dry ingredient mixture with wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in crab meat, corn, and scallions until evenly distributed. Hold batter refrigerated for service.
- Set fryer to 350° F. For each serving, dip a number #30 scoop into water and then into the hush puppy batter. Drop 12 scoops of batter into the frier. Fry until golden brown and cooked through in the center. Drain.
- Plate as desired with 1/2 cup Chili Lime Butter Dip. Serve warm.
For a nice twist of color use blue corn meal in the batter.