A Southern corn flour Johnny Cake served with a sweet and savory corn jalapeño compote with flavors driven by Cholula® Green Pepper Hot Sauce and sorghum syrup.
Corn & Sorghum Compote
- In a sauté pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add jalapeno and scallions. Cook until soft and add corn.
- Continue to cook until heated through and remove from heat. Add Cholula and sorghum syrup. Hold warm for service.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat milk and first amount of butter to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine cornflour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add milk and butter to dry ingredients and whisk well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, add first listed egg and whisk well. Hold at room temperature for service.
- Heat griddle to medium-high. For each serving, spread 1 tablespoon butter over an area on the griddle.
- Ladle 1/3 cup batter onto griddle. Cook until batter is bubbling and edges begin to dry. Flip the cake, and cook until golden brown.
- Cook an egg to order on the griddle in butter.
- Plate cake and top with 1/4 cup Corn & Sorghum compote. Top with egg and serve warm.
A nice Johnny Cake is often served with bacon and often cooked on the griddle in a blend of butter and bacon drippings.
- Recipe type: Breakfast and Brunch