Scratch gnocchi made from cauliflower finished with umami-rich wild mushrooms and truffle oil to lend an intense savory and meaty flavor.
This recipe was developed for the Flavor Forecast: Looking Back to Look Forward.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat melt butter. Add cauliflower, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook until cauliflower has softened and released some water. Cool completely.
- Squeeze liquid out of cooked cauliflower using cheesecloth. Place in food processor along with egg, flour and salt. Pulse to combine and create a slightly sticky dough. Add more flour as needed.
- Dust work surface with flour. Turn dough out onto surface and divide into workable portions. Roll each portion into a roughly 1/2" thick rope. Cut into 1" pieces. Imprint with fork if desired. Dust parchment lined sheet tray with flour. Place finished gnocchi on tray and freeze for service.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat melt first amount of butter. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid has released. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Continue to cook until no more liquid remains and mushrooms are browned. Hold warm for service or cool and refrigerate until needed.
- Set up station of boiling salted water. Blanch frozen gnocchi until they float. Pull from water and drain. Cool and hold refrigerated for service.
- For each serving, in a sauté pan over medium heat melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add 1 cup blanched gnocchi. Toast on two sides.
- Add 1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms, 2 tablespoons heavy cream, and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese. Stir until fully incorporated and cream is slightly reduced.
- Plate as desired and drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon truffle oil. Garnish as desired. Serve hot.
Use these cauliflower gnocchi with any of your favorite pasta sauces or preparations.
- Recipe type: Pasta and Rice