Dipped in a spiced chickpea flour mix and baked or fried to a crispy crunch, these irresistible kale chips prove that nuanced flavors, including plant-based ones, can be craveable and delicious. Finish with a drizzle of each - mango-tamarind chutney and cool black salt yogurt - and a pop of pomegranate and sesame seeds to really dial up the purposeful layers of flavor in every bite.
Black Salt Yogurt Sauce | Serves 8
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 container (5 ounces) Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1/8 tsp Black Salt
Mango Tamarind Chutney | Serves 8
- 3 tbsps Prepared Mango Chutney
- 1 tbsp Plum Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
Crispy Kale | Serves 8
- 8 cups Tuscan Lacinato Kale, washed well, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups Chickpea Flour
- 2 tbsps Corn Starch
- 1 tsp McCormick Gourmet™ Garam Masala Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Amchur (Mango Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Water
- Oil, for frying
Garnish | Serves 8
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup White Onion, finely chopped
- 1 container (4 ounces) Pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp McCormick Culinary ® Sesame Seeds, White
- 1 tbsp McCormick Culinary ® Sesame Seeds, Black
Black Salt Yogurt Sauce
- Mix yogurt, honey, 1 tablespoon water and black salt in small bowl until blended. Cover and refrigerate until service.
Mango Tamarind Chutney
- Mix chutney, plum sauce and tamarind paste in separate small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- Pat kale dry with paper towels. Cut into strips about 2 inches wide. Mix flour, corn starch, Garam Masala, garlic powder, amchur and salt in large bowl. Add 2 cups of the water, whisking until well blended. Let stand 2 minutes.
- Heat deep fryer to 375°F. Toss kale with prepared batter to coat. Working in batches, transfer kale to strainer; allow excess batter to drain off, about 1 minute. Place drained kale in fryer basket, being sure not to overfill—kale should be loose, not packed in basket.
- Fry kale until crispy and edges are lightly browned, tossing halfway through cooking and separating with tongs as needed. Repeat process, coating and frying remaining kale as directed.
- Arrange Crispy Kale on a large serving platter. Top evenly with onion and tomato. Drizzle with yogurt sauce and chutney. Sprinkle with pomegranate and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- Recipe type: Appetizers
- Cuisine: North American