A fun, new way to Kebob: cooked straight in the bread, creating an instant hand-held delicacy!
Lemon Tahini | Serves 4
- 1/4 cup Tahini Paste
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbsps Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1/8 tsp Salt
Pita Pockets | Serves 4
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Warm Water, 105-110°F, plus more as needed
Hawawshi Filling | Serves 4
- 1 cup Tomato, rough chop
- 1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup White Onion, rough chop
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno, rough chop
- 1 1/2 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Cumin, Ground , ground
- 1 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Coriander, Ground , ground
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Allspice, Ground , ground
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp McCormick Culinary ® Black Pepper, Shaker Grind , shaker grind
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 pound Ground Beef, 80/20
- In a bowl combine tahini, water, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk until well mixed. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine flour, yeast, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add warm water. Continue to knead until dough comes together and is fairly smooth. Dough should be somewhat sticky; if the dough feels dry to the touch, add additional water, one tablespoon at a time. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Set griddle or grill to medium-high. Divide dough into 3.5 oz pieces and form into balls. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Roll the dough into thin rounds, about 1/2 inch thick. Place on grill and cook until golden. Flip and cook on the other side for an additional 60-90 seconds. Repeat with remaining dough. Halve pitas and hold under a clean towel for service.
- In a food processor combine tomato, parsley, onion, cumin, coriander, salt, allspice, garlic, black pepper, and baking soda. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and add ground beef. Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Divide into roughly 3-ounce portions. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set griddle or grill to medium heat and oven to 400°F. For each serving, open the pocket of one halved pita and fill with beef mixture. Lightly brush outside for pita with oil and grill until char marks appear on both sides.
- Transfer to a sizzle platter and finish in the oven to desired doneness. Serve hot with 2 tablespoons lemon tahini on side.
This recipe can be simplified by using high-quality pita bread.
This dish translates beautifully to a plant-based version! Simply swap the total amount of meat with your favorite plant-based substitute.
- Recipe type: Burgers Tacos and Sandwiches