This dip of roasted bell peppers and tomatoes is richly seasoned with paprika, cumin, garlic, and red pepper.
- Place bell peppers on large baking sheet. Roast in preheated 350ºF oven 30 to 40 minutes or until skins begin to blister, turning bell peppers after 20 minutes. Transfer bell peppers to large plastic bag. Close bag. Let stand 15 minutes or until bell peppers are cool enough to handle. Peel off blistered skin. Remove tops, ribs and seeds. Coarsely chop bell peppers. Set aside.
- Make an X in the bottom of each tomato. Place in saucepan of boiling water for 10 seconds. Transfer tomatoes with slotted spoon to bowl of ice water. Peel off skin then coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Place bell peppers, tomatoes and seasonings in large skillet on medium-low heat. Cook 35 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are very soft, stirring frequently. Stir in sugar and tomato paste; cook 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with pita or naan bread or crackers. (Or refrigerate until chilled to serve cold.)
Serve as part of a selection of dips with pita chips and bread along with marinated olives.
- Recipe type: Sauces Condiments and Spreads
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
- Calories: 24 cal
- Sodium: 132 mg
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Protein: 1 g